Our seasonal recipes have returned just in time for the start of 2019! This recipe is the perfect pick-me-up for those gloomy January days, slathered on toast or stirred into warm porridge. Plus you’d be silly not to take advantage of the Seville Orange season which runs from the end of December through to mid February!
Seville Orange Marmalade
- 1.15 kg seville oranges
- 2 lemons
- 1130ml (2 pints) water
- 2.3kg sugar
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 bottle of Certo
- Peel the fruit and remove half of the white pith
- Shred the peel.
- Put the peel, water & bicarbonate into a pan, bring to the boil and simmer (covered) for 15 minutes until the peel is soft and can easily be crushed.
- Cut up the peeled fruit, discarding the pips and tough skin.
- Add to the cooked peel and simmer (covered) for a further 20 minutes.
- Put 3 pints (1.7 litres) of the mixture into a large pan, stir in the sugar, warming gently until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a full rolling boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Certo.
- Skim and stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir again and pot up in the usual way.