Hoorah! It’s Asparagus season, definitely one of our favourite times of year, and the farm shop is overflowing with local asparagus from just outside of Oxford.
Our Farm Shop super-staff have picked a delicious recipe to display on our seasonal produce cart in the shop. This recipe is taken from ‘Everyday & Sunday Recipes from Riverford Farm’ by Guy Watson and Jane Baxter. And most fortunately for you, all the ingredients are readily available in the farm shop!
This recipe is perfect to serve 4 people as a starter or as a side-dish. You’ll need:
- 1 bunch of local asparagus (approx. 10 stems)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 head of fennel
- 10 cherry tomatoes, slow-roasted
- 10 basil leaves, torn
And for the dressing:
- 100g crumbly goats cheese
- 50ml milk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Toss the asparagus in the oil, season and grill on a hot griddle pan for a few minutes on either side. Set aside.
- Trim the fennel. Remove the core and shave finely on a mandolin or grater.
- To make the dressing, crumble the goat’s cheese into the milk, add the other ingredients, warm gently until melted together and season.
- Place half the fennel in a serving dish, top with the asparagus and remaining fennel, scatter with the tomatoes, drizzle with the goats cheese dressing and finish with the basil.
- Serve and enjoy!